Spring is upon us, and there is no better time to take inventory of what’s in your closet, donate your gently worn goods and add a colorful new accessory to your closet. I might spring for a bright new armchair or a decadent chandelier to infuse a bit of fun and a dash of luxe into my closet. Sometimes small changes can go a long way in completely transforming the look and feel of your closet. But first, you have some spring-cleaning to do, and I have some tips that will set the mood and help you rock your closet cleanout.
Setting The Mood…
- Before you begin discarding, organizing and decorating your closet, turn on your most inspiring playlist. I like a little Beyoncé, some John Legend and a bit of Justin Timberlake to get inspired.
- There is something about a comfortable yet luxurious cashmere hooded sweater and lounge pants that makes me feel good, and feeling good while spring-cleaning is essential.
- The right cocktail will elevate the entire experience to a new level. I’m currently loving the Pimm’s Cup, made with ginger beer and Campari.
Now that the mood has been set and you are feeling good and inspired, it’s time to get organized. You want to be able to walk into you closet in the morning and at the end of the day and feel clean and clear.
- Start with your jewelry, which is often tangled and hard to find. Untangle your necklaces and either display in drawers neatly of hang them up. What you can see you will wear.
- Organize your tops by type and color.
- Discard all items you haven’t worn in six months to a charity like Dress For Success. If you have several white shirts or jeans from 2012 that you know you will never wear again (even though you paid $200), it’s time to pass them on.
- Battery-operated lighted rods can change the entire look of your closet, I recommend replacing the existing rods with lighted rods.
- I am loving Pliios, they are a new tool that helps to fold shirts and sweater, your closet will look like a boutique.
- Purse Pillows are a great way to keep your handbags preserved and new.